2007年8月31日星期五

Orientation for Exchange Students

It's supposed to be very, very significant for me, 'cause one of the advantages of being here is to meet guy from all over the world. However, I nearly messed it up by going to bed at 2:30 a.m. Though the alarm-clock function of my cellphone did its job and I went there on time, I paid the price: the stick attached to the cellphone to touch the screen was lost. It fell into the narrow gap between the wall and the bed.

I'm sort into two categories: "exchange student from Mainland" and "exchange student to School of Science", so I had to attend the meeting of both group. The former came first. The meeting is mostly about the things one have to know about Hongkong & UST, and most of the information provided are found useful. As all are from Mainland, part of the lectures are made in Mandarin, though most of them are in English. It made little difference to me, since I can understand English as perfectly as Chinese when I'm concentrating my mind. The thing that actually irritated me was this silly girl from MSSS(Mainland Student&Scholars Society). She is apparently from Mainland, and began her lecture with Mandarin without accent. However, she soon dropped it and began speaking English. I acknowledge the fact that her oral English is better than me, which is nothing astonishing, but I don't think it proper to speak it in front of all these elites from mainland. What's more intolerable is that she soon switched back to Mandarin, added, "See, I can speak Mandarin as fluently as English." What the fxxk is that? It's your mother-tongue! Damn it!

Then it comes to the meeting of all the exchange students, either mainland or overseas, in School of Science. I met many nice guys and girls majoring in maths, physics, chemistry and biology, including a few hot girls from Europe and America. Astonishing, the direction of research of most physicist here are condensed matter, but it's just a good news to me as that's also what I'm studying.

I immediately met this cute boy, Tawa Masahiro, from Kyoto University. That's supposed to be the base of Yukawa and Tomonaga! His major is agriculture, but come here to study maths. He spoke great English with little accent, quite opposite to my impression of oral English of Japanese. Furthermore, he can speak a little Chinese! We became friends the moment we saw each other.

Feng is a student from Tsinghua University, majoring in physics. And he's proved to be a capable physicist and an elite. The criterion of an elite cannot be completely explained by language, and it's said that only an elite can judge whether someone else is one. I saw those spirit in his eyes when mine came across his, and I can tell that he's qualified to be my ally, companion and fellow.

Happy Everyday--well, not Miss Liu, her surname is Zhang--is DM's schoolmate. She's from 11th Department of HIT, but she's planning to switch to 21st Department to study something pratical rather than theoretical. She's small but cute, a very lovely girl.

However, the time for me to know them is way too limited. There're 15 minutes arranged for us to walk around, talk to each other and exchange contact infomation, but it's apparently not enough! I wish I can meet more of them!

没有评论: