2007年8月28日星期二

Impression of HK

I heart of Hongkong, "the Pearl of Far East", when I was very young. I attended a competition on knowledge of Hongkong at the age of 10 when Hongkong became part of PRC. I read more and more about it as I grew up, but I've never actually visited it until last winter vacation, when I when to HK with my cousin and my mom to buy makeups.

In my imagination, Hongkong was a very tiny place, 'cause I'd only seen it on the full map of PRC. However, I found that it is far larger, even Kowloon plus Hongkong Island is no smaller than Shenzhen. In my imagination, Hongkong was quite a "foreign" place, a city that had more resemblance with British ones rather than Chinese ones, and nobody there spoke Mandarin. To my astonishment, I found most of the Hongkong can understand Mandarin, some of them can speak it very well. In my imagination, as it's part of China, the price in Hongkong shouldn't be too different from that in Mainland. I was quite shocked when I found that I had to spend $5 on an ordinary bottle of drinking water. However, I haven't thought that I would spend four full months in this city.

Then I applied for this exchange plan, and was lucky enough to succeed.

Hence I'm here, with my parents, in this familiar and strange city. The moment I stepped out of the Custom, I had this strange feeling in side of me. The uncomfortableness, the cultural shock, are the same as going to a foreign country. That is why I chose to be here, to spend $20, 000 in four months, and to cope with such upset and all. I must learn to adapt myself quickly to a new environment.

没有评论: