2007年8月3日星期五

Some of My Protests Yesterday

Yesterday, I completed, in some sense, the course registration in HKUST. "In some sense" means that, I just submitted my registration, but most of these are "awaiting decision". Most of the courses, except the ones for freshman, have some "prerequisite" courses i.e. one must have passes some other courses before taking a more advanced course. Pretty reasonable, isn't it? However, I am an exchange student, and though I have passes equivalent courses in SYSU, I, technically speaking, fail to meet such prerequisites. Fortunately, I'm permitted to attach a note to the corresponding professors and explain the reason why I believe I'm qualified to take his course without meeting the conditions. Here are some I wrote yesterday.

PHYS321 Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
I am an exchange-in student from Sun Yat-sen University, China. Before coming to HKUST, I have taken 2 courses, named "Heat Physics" and "Introductroy Theoretical Physics (Mechanics and Thermodynamics)", in freshman and sophomore years respectively. In these, I have been taught the fundamental knowledge of Thermodynamics, such as Maxwell relations, and of Statistical Physics, such as Gibbs distribution and Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Hence, I think I'm capable of taking Course PHYS321.

PHYS382 Computational Physics II
I am an exchange-in student from Sun Yat-sen University, China. I have been learning programming for over eight years, and I am fairly familiar with C as well as Matlab and Mathematica, though I've just began to learn Fortran. During the sophomore year, I've learned the basic skills of computational physics, such as the numerical solution of ODE. Hence, I think I am capable of taking course PHYS382.
(by the time of publication, this enrollment has been accepted)


PHYS342 Nuclear and Particle Physics
I am an exchange-in student from Sun Yat-sen University, China. Before coming to HKUST, I have taken 2 courses, named "Atomic Physics" and "Quantum Mechanics", in freshman and sophomore years respectively, and have received relatively good mark in both. In these, I have been taught of the fundamental knowledge of quantum mechanics as well as nucleus and elementary particles. Hence, I think I am capable of taking course PHYS342.

PHYS351 Structure and Defects of Materials
I am an exchange-in student from Sun Yat-sen University, China. Before coming to HKUST, I have taken the course "Heat Physics", which provided an introduction of some topics discussed in your course PHYS250, such as crystal structures, phase transformations and phase diagrams. Not satisfied with these, I have been reading books like Introduction to Solid State Physics by C. Kittel, which gave a much more profound discussion on those topics and some topics to be discussed in course PHYS351. Hence, I think I am capable of taking PHYS351.

没有评论: