2007年6月23日星期六

Installation of Starcraft

Today, I finally downloaded and installed Starcraft 1.08!

I've been studying the theory of RTS since 15, and learning about SC since 17. From then on, I've spent considerable time to study not only basic knowledge and details of this legendary game, but also numerous replay (video) of great players like Grrr..., Boxer, Yellow and etc. However, I've never thought of playing it myself. One reason is that I fear I may indulge myself in the game and affect my academic skill, another reason is that I cannot get one. However, thanks to Thunder 5, I got the game (more than 200M) from the Internet in less than 1.5h, and installed it.

I began with the Campaign Mode. With an experience of Warcraft II, I didn't find it hard to get used to SC. However, I still find the distance between theory and practice, and I found that my APM is no more than 60, a poor number that requires improvement.

I've tried all the races, now I'll give some comment.

Terran:
Firebat is really good at killing dogs, but I always forget using the stim pack.
Dropship is a little hard to use, but I'm learning to use it.
I haven't learned the correct usage of vultures, or the right way to use Spider Mines.
Siege Tanks are great, but protecting them with marines requires some practise.
Goliath are great anti-air unit, while Wraith is indeed good at air-to-air battle, not air to ground, at least not in TvT.
Missile Turret combined with Siege Tank plus some Marine/Goliath can be a great defence against almost all attack from primary units. I tried to break it with countless Hydralisk/Mutalisk, and found it...Oops!

Protoss:
Buildings and units are too god-damned expensive!
Protoss is not a defensive race. So I have to attack! However, Photon Cannons are really nice defensive weapons, as it can shoot at both ground and air units.
I haven't mastered the art of putting Pylons correctly. However, after reading some elementary level articles on the subject, I can do it better now.
Dragoons are very useful, but it requires much micromanagement to be perfectly used.
Templar, as I've known before, is a unit that requires most skill but , in a masterhand, can deal a great amount of damage.
Reaver is another unit that requires skill to make full use of. However, I saw how Reaver can slaughter masses of hydralisks (when I was the Zerg).
Observer is not as powerful as I have thought. Though its anti-cloaking ability is great in some cases (anti-Lurker and anti-Wraith), it's too easy to be shot down. However, building more of them is never a bad idea.
Carriers are not so powerful as I thought. Even with 8 interceptor, a small number of carrier can't deal much damage. However, a whole dozen of carrier can wipe out almost anything from the map.

Zerg:
I found I'm in love with this race! I like the feeling of building a huge army in quite a short time. And I love to use a great army (numerically speaking, at least) to push at a weak point of the enemy's battle line.
Zerglings are great units, being cheap and flexible, but it has too many enemies. I still love Hydralisk better.
Mutalisk combined with Hydralisk can deal much damage.
Guardians, covered by Mutalisks, can wipe out almost anything from the map.

没有评论: