2007年5月6日星期日

Begin to Collect "Bible of Physics"

This is the diary of Jan. 17, 2007, moved from my former Live Space.

Today, I went downtown with my dearest cousin. Needless to say, after leading her to the Plaza, I went to the Bookshop and headed directly to the area of foreign textbooks of nature science.

In fact, I always get confused when I stand in that area, glancing at so many textbooks of mathematics and physics. The greatest problem is that: even if these books weren't that expensive, I've no time to read and compare a variety of books on a certain subject. I hope to buy some "classical, authoritative" books that are reliable and unanimously considered as perfect. As a result, I always buy foreign books that I've heard of it or its author. I've collected the 3 volumns of Feynman Lectures on Physics, and now what?

So I just paced around the bookshelves and survey those books, until I came across two names that attracted me immediately.
"L. D. Landau & E. M. Lifshitz!"

Landau is probably the only physicist in 20th century that is cleverer than Feynman. He contributed to almost all the domains of theoretical physics, and I'm about to write an article about him. Another contribution of his is Course of Theoretical Physics in ten volumns, by him and his student, Lifshitz. Most of the top physicist in Russia at that time, a considerable number of whom are awarded of Nobel Prize, had studies these books in their youth. These books were partly translated into several languages and completely translated into one: English. These books were called Bible of Physics, and were studied by lads and ladies that are determined to devote themselve to physics researching. I had heard of it for several times, and many of the textbooks I used in university quoted from these books, but I knew nothing more than that.

The book in my hand was Statistical Physics, Part 1, which is just the one quoted by my textbook of Thermodynamics. On the back of the book cover, I found the name of the other nine volumns. I would like to list them as below:

1. Mechanics
2. The Classical Theory of Fields
3. Quantum Mechanics(Non-relatisticTheory)
4. Quantum Electrodynamics
5. Statistical Physics Part 1
6. Fluid Mechanics
7. Theory of Elasticity
8. Electrodynamics of Continuous Media
9. Statistical Physics Part 2
10. Physical Kinetics

However, as I haven't brought enough money, I have to buy only some of them. After a period of struggling, I determined to buy book No. 3, 5, 8 and 9. I swear that I'll collect them all one day!

1 条评论:

匿名 说...

You are so lucky to get them by such a wonderful price. On the countrary, for neither FLP nor landau's nine volumes available in any bookshop in Harbin, I have to buy them expensively from www.amazon.com, through that BBS.